Pyongyang Marathon Tour - Apr 7 to 11 2017
Marathon running in the most unknown and enigmatic capital city in the world.
Now in its 30th year, the Pyongyang Marathon is the only opportunity for foreign visitors to run the streets of the North Korean capital unaccompanied. Starting and finishing in the fully packed 50,000 capacity Kim Il Sung stadium this race sees foreigners join with local Korean runners in the streets of Pyongyang while crowds of locals line the streets to cheer you on. A unique experience in a fascinating and unknown place. Be part of the opening and closing ceremonies, medals for amateur and professional runners, and bragging rights for being part of the most unusual marathon race around. 10km and ½ marathon options are offered too, as is simply watching the event with the locals.
* Running through the streets of the mysterious North Korean capital – Pyongyang!
* See the highlights of the city while on tour – the massive Juche Tower, Kim l Sung Square (famed for its parades), giant bronze statues of North Korea’s leaders and much more
* Visit the DMZ – where North and South Korea continue their 70 year starting contest. Learn the tragic history of the division of the country and how it continues to this day
* Learn about the North Korean version of the key events in their recent history at the Korean War Museum – known as the Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum
* As many chances to mingle with the locals as possible; on the streets, riding the retro Pyongyang Metro, and throughout the tour
* Be one of only a handful of tourists to visit the country, run the marathon, and scratch the surface of what makes North Korea such a confusing and fascinating place
Fri April 7th
Depart Beijing on Air Koryo mid morning / Arrive Pyongyang mid day.
Customs at Pyongyang airport, meet guides, Arch of Triumph (built in 1982, marks liberation from Japan, bigger than the French one), Mansudae Grand Monument (giant bronze statues of Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il), Fountain Park (in the centre of the city, near the statues), transfer to Yanggakdo Hotel. Check in hotel.
Sat April 8th
Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum (Korean war Museum, essential to an understanding of how North Korea got to be the way it is, also has a large War victory Monument Park), USS Pueblo (American spy ship captured in 1968 and kept as a trophy ever since), Mansudae Art Studio (where all the statues and street art in Pyongyang are made, meet some artists, buy their works if you like), Pyongyang Metro (deepest in the world, travel several stops with the local people, great for mingling and for photos), Walk through central Pyongyang, Foregn Languages Bookshop, Kim Il Sung Square (centre of the city, where all the parades take place), drive around the marathon route (familiarization).
Sun April 9th
PYONGYANG MARATHON – run the race, watch the race, etc.
This will be a long morning as arrival at stadium around 8AM and then all finished around 2PM. Possible to take snacks, drinks, etc into stadium. This afternoon there is a choice – if tired from the marathon offer a visit to the waterpark (with many saunas, water slides, pools, etc- costs 10 EUR) or continue a city tour such as; Grand People’s Study House (enormous library/public university, overlooking Kim Il Sung Square, Party Foundation monument (to mark 50 years of the Workers’ Party, recently renovated for the 70th anniversary), Juche Tower (150m stone tower, 5 EUR lift to the top for amazing panoramic view of Pyongyang) Yanggakdo Hotel, Pyongyang.
Mon April 10th
Drive to Kaesong (2.5 hours – Kaesong is the city near to the DMZ, the only city not destroyed in the Korean War and home to many historical relics), Panmunjom/DMX (the area with the blue huts where North and South face off with each other, Jannam Hill (in the centre of Kaesong, great view of the old town). Kaesong Koryo Museum (Former Confucian university, UNESCO site, history of ancient Korea), Walk in the old city, Tomb of King Kongmin (34th King of Koryo Dynasty, UNESCO site), return to Pyongyang, local beer bar, farewell dinner, local funfair afterwards as an option. Tues April 11th Depart Pyongyang on Air Koryo mid morning / Arrive Beijing late morning.
- Airfares from Beijing to Pyongyang return
- 4 Nights Accommodation
- All Meals (4 dinners, 4 lunches, 4 breakfasts)
- All transport within North Korea (including return airport transfers)
- All day tours listed above
- Local North Korean Tour guide
- Race entry to the 10km, half marathon or marathon
- North Korean Visa and all processing involved